From the Executive/Artistic Director, Amanda Selwyn
This year has been fueled with growth and change. In this midst of the volatile political climate and endless media storm, a key question resonates in the day to day of Notes in Motion/Amanda Selwyn Dance Theatre. “What is a sacred space?” What does it mean to feel safe, to trust, to be part of a community? The answers reveal themselves in the creative process, in the classroom, on the stage, in the studio, in the board room, and in the outdoor gardens of Green Afternoon. At its most basic, a sacred space is a place which invites the contemplation of divine mystery and encourages an attitude of spiritual openness. A sacred space is not necessarily where answers are grasped or understood. It is where questions are asked, conversations occur, rituals are perpetuated, dances are performed, songs are sung, and silence is heard.
What turns an ordinary place into a sacred space? Creativity. Whether expressed in the improvisation of ecstatic dance or in mind-bending sculptures and installations, when we create, we transform our experience of environment. The arts transport us into the wilderness, evoking an intuitive and mystical knowledge of the sacredness of earth and of all life.
We have recently brought new Board members and new Teaching Artists into the organization and I am excited about the talent and passion they bring. Every day, I am profoundly moved by the imagination, expressiveness, and soulfulness of my dancers, designers, teaching artists, administrators, board, and volunteers. This community has blossomed over our 17 years in ways I never could have dreamed.
Upcoming Events and Program Updates:
- White Night | Saturday, April 8, 2017 | 7-10:30 p.m. | Reflections Center for Conscious Living & Yoga
227 E 24th St (between 2nd Ave & 3rd Ave) New York, NY 10010
- Small Plate Evening featuring 3 celebrity chefs
- Chopped Competition
- Dance Performance
- Silent Auction
- Live Music, Video, and more!
- Footprints Dance Festival at the Marjorie S. Deane Little Theater | May 18-20, 2017
- World Premiere of Refuge — The World Premiere of Amanda Selwyn Dance Theatre’s newest choreographic work, Refuge, will take place in a series of site-specific locations in Spring/Summer 2017. The audience experience of the work will be an ever-changing and participatory one.
- Notes in Motion Arts-in-Education programs — Our school partnerships are growing to serve more students with longer and more robust in and after-school dance programming. In 2016-2017, we have programs every day of the school year in all five boroughs of NYC!
Looking forward to a vibrant year of dance and community!