From the Executive/Artistic Director:
What is a crossroad?
- the place where roads intersect.
- a point at which a vital decision must be made.
- a main center of activity.
Now in the 19th year of the company, the only constant is change. Decision making, responding to adversity, turning challenges into opportunities, finding ways to meet contrasting demands, juggling time, resources, space, and opportunity. As I strive to live and breathe fully present in this axis of energy, I am always working to find grace, compassion, and truth. In my choreographic work and as the leader of the company, I am humbled in my celebration of the confluence of spirits that is Amanda Selwyn Dance Theatre/Notes in Motion. This energy circulates in each moment of intersection, each fork in the road. Cosmic possibility emerges in each dancer’s artistry, form, and expression, each teaching artist’s warmth, thought, and planning, in the administrative team’s focus, organization, and commitment, in our Board, funders, and volunteers’ stalwart support. Change is happening. I revel in moments we reach audiences, students, and community. It is such a privilege to share the joy of dance, raising questions, offering audiences in-roads to make meaning and find their own story. As I peer towards our 20th anniversary, I am filled with so much gratitude for all that we have discovered, for the community we have built, and all that lays ahead.
We are now working on a new work entitled Crossroads scheduled to premiere in June 2019 at New York Live Arts. The piece explores forging into unchartered waters and this ongoing and tumultuous process of self-discovery. Inspired by the work of Margritte and Escher, I am collaborating with long-time scenic & costume designer, Anna-Alisa Belous to shape a surrealistic landscape that highlights these lingering moments at the crossroads, choosing one path or another, and how these moments steer the course of our lives.
We have recently brought on new Board members, new Teaching Artists, and new Administrative Staff into the organization and I am excited about the talent and passion they bring. Every day, I am profoundly moved by the imagination, expressiveness, and soulfulness of my dancers, designers, teaching artists, administrators, board, and volunteers. This community has blossomed over our 19 years in ways I never could have dreamed.
Upcoming Events Notes in Motion Events
- Credit Suisse Partnership Event Friday, October 5, 2018 at PS 63 STAR Academy. Click here to see highlights from our 2017-2018 school community events.
Upcoming Events Amanda Selwyn Dance Theatre Events
- Fall Open Rehearsal | October 15, 2018 6:30-8:30 p.m. | The Ailey Studios, NYC
- Holiday Performance | Wednesday, December 5, 2018 6-9 p.m. | View 34, Murray Hill, NYC
- Winter Open Rehearsal | Tuesday,February 12, 2019 6:30-8:30 p.m.| The Ailey Studios, NYC
- Crossroads World Premiere | June 20-22, 2019 7:30 p.m. | New York Live Arts, NYC
- Amanda Selwyn Dance Theatre recently presented our 18th Annual Performance Season with the World Premiere of Refuge at Mark Morris Dance Center. Check out photos of the Season performance here
- In 2017-2018, Notes in Motion Outreach Dance Theatre has been honored to become a Community Partner with the Dizzy Feet Foundation. Our in-school dance education programs are thriving — we are serving 10 schools, over 2,500 students, and offering programs 190 days of the year! View photos of our recent Community Events in partnership with Credit Suisse at PS 63 Manhattan and PS 312 Brooklyn here.